Coconut Oil’s Surprising Health & Survival Benefits
Depending on how savvy you are to the newest and trendiest foods you might have noticed people all across the country are starting to use a lot of this plant-based cooking oil.
When compared to other vegetable oils like peanut oil and canola oil this tropically sourced cooking oil might be a bit pricier than what you’re used to.
Typically its price is comparable to Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other gourmet oils.
However, while it might cost a few bucks more than other vegetable oils the amazing benefits it provides are absolutely worth it.
I think everyone who’s putting a long-term food storage solution together should have at least a half gallon of this to accompany their food storage.
51 Scientifically Based Reasons to Start Using Coconut Oil
The biggest reason to use coconut oil is because it’s all fat.
While most people have been led to believe fat is evil, the truth is there are good fats.
You literally wouldn’t be able to live without fat in your diet, and the better the fats you have in your diet the better you feel.
The reason coconut oil is so good is because it’s made out of lauric acid. Lauric acid rarely appears in other foods, and coconut oil is about 50% lauric acid.
Here’s why this matters for you in a survival situation (or even in daily life).
Lauric acid has some really exciting health properties. Once you ingest lauric acid your body turns it into a substance called monolaurin, and mononlaurin has antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties.
Can you see how that might be helpful in an emergency situation, especially a situation where you have limited access to things like antibiotics or antibacterials?
On top of that there are various other reasons to start using this amazing cooking oil because it also has countless more uses to positively affect your health.
While I was doing research I came across this incredible list provided by the Coconut Research Center.
Every single point you see listed here has been authenticated with some amount of scientific research summarized the health benefits of coconut oil, based on recent scientific studies.
- Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and other diseases.
- Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
- Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
- Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
- Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
- Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
- Reduces problems associated with mal-absorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
- Helps protect against osteoporosis.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
- Improves digestion and bowel function.
- Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Supports tissue healing and repair.
- Supports and aids immune system function.
- Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
- Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
- Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
- Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
- Reduces epileptic seizures.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
- Dissolves kidney stones.
- Helps prevent liver disease.
- Is lower in calories than all other fats.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
- Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
- Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
- Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward off infection.
- Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
- Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
- Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
- Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
- Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
- Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
- Helps control dandruff.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperatures like other vegetable oils do.
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
- Is completely non-toxic to humans.
Interestingly enough the benefits associated with coconut oil don’t stop there.
There are actually other uses for it that aren’t related to your heath.
Let me explain some of those to you.
More, Weird Uses Of Coconut Oil
Turns out you can use the oil for more than just fighting off bacteria and increasing your energy levels.
For one it’s a potent fuel source.
It’s so effective at providing long-lasting, high-quality energy airliners have even started using it in their fuel mixtures as the power for planes to fly thousands of miles.
Of course you’re not going to be using coconut oil to power a plane.
But you can use it as a fuel source for a lantern or a lamp as well as in biofuel/biodiesel applications.
It’s also great for industrial applications like helping to lubricate motorized equipment like engines, gears, and chains.
And it’s wonderful at prolonging the life of metal equipment. A dab of coconut oil on a trouble spot can prevent oxidization from occurring which will keep rust at bay and extend the life of your equipment.
Here are more unique uses for coconut oil in survival situations:
- Soap (highest quality, naturally disinfectant, antimicrobial, lathers up even in salt water)
- Lubricant (hinges, machinery, etc.)
- Condition wooden tools
Pretty amazing what this oil can do, isn’t it?